When it comes to urology, sensitive care from experienced experts makes all the difference. Urologists who are a part of Mount Nittany Health are experts in all aspects of this specialty, including cancers, trauma, diseases, infections and unique conditions.
Urologists can diagnose and treat a wide variety of urological conditions as well as some problems associated with the reproductive system and prostate care. Experienced surgeons can also perform a number of urological procedures at Mount Nittany Health Surgical Center.
Urological conditions can often be a discomforting experience for patients, but our experienced urologists can quickly and effectively diagnose and treat the problems you may be facing.
Our experienced team can treat a range of urological conditions, including:
- Urinary tract infections (UTI)
- Interstitial cystitis (also known as painful bladder syndrome)
- Stone disease (formation of kidney stones)
- Genitourinary trauma
- Cancers of the bladder or kidney
Treatment for these urological conditions can include prescribed medication as well as:
- Ultrasound and biopsy procedures
- Lithotripsy to break up stones
- Laproscopic nephrectomy, a minimally invasive surgery for the removal of the kidney due to the presence of a tumor or disease
- Cystoscopy, a procedure performed when a patient has blood in his or her urine, frequent urinary tract infections or other associated symptoms. This in-office procedure, performed under local anesthesia, allows your physician to examine the interior of the bladder for cancer or stones. During the cystoscopy, a bladder biopsy may be performed
and the tissue sample examined microscopically.
Meet our team
At Mount Nittany Physician Group, our providers are dedicated to being your partner in health and wellness. Watch the videos below to learn what makes them unique, both professionally and personally.
"What makes our group stand apart is our commitment to quality and our commitment to the patients who are here." - Howard I. Miller, MD
"I'd say the part of my job that I find the most satisfaction from is not just helping the patient, but also improving their lives overall." - Stephen Phillips, DO
"My personal philosophy is to communicate and connect with the patient. I try to deliver down-to-earth medicine." - Christopher Yingling, MD
Problems in the reproductive system can be frustrating at best and painful at worst, but urologists at Mount Nittany Health offer the care and specialized capability necessary to diagnose and treat a number of conditions, including male patients dealing with:
- Impotence and infertility
- Erectile dysfunction
- Penile warts
- Hydroceles (scrotal swelling)
- Cancer of the penis
- Peyronie's disease (abnormal scar tissue inside the penis)
- In-office vasectomies under local anesthesia
Additionally, our staff can treat a number of urological conditions in our female patients, such as stress or urge incontinence or an overactive bladder. For other conditions related to the female reproductive system, such as infertility or uterine prolapse, visit a gynecologist at Mount Nittany Health.
While a regular prostate check can be performed by any of Mount Nittany Health's primary care physicians, urologists at Mount Nittany Health are experienced in handling a variety of prostate problems men face.
At Mount Nittany Health, we can treat:
- Prostatitis (swelling and inflammation of the prostate)
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate)
- Cancers of the prostate and testis
We offer a number of special procedures to treat our patients:
- Chemotherapy is used to reduce hormone levels in prostate cancer patients.
- Transurethral needle ablation of the prostate, commonly referred to as TUNA, is an in-office, minimally invasive treatment performed under local anesthesia for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is a surgical procedure that can be an option for patients with BPH.
- Brachytherapy is an internal radiation treatment that involves placing radioactive material (seeds) directly into a tumor or close to it, allowing a high dose of radiation to attack the cancer while minimizing damage to surrounding organs and tissues.
- We also plan to offer robotic prostatectomy procedures for our prostate cancer patients in the near future.
Mount Nittany Physician Group Providers
Health Break Article
You’ve probably had a friend or relative who has had kidney stones, or maybe you’ve even had them yourself. The truth is, kidney stones are one of the most common disorders of the urinary tract, affecting one in 11 people in the United States alone.