Case Management

A case manager reviews patient records on the computer.The Case Management Department helps patients and their families cope with illness and its effects by guiding them through the healthcare system.

We work not only with patients and family members, but also with physicians, other healthcare workers, community service providers and insurance companies. We encourage physicians to contact our office to facilitate the continuum of care.

Our team of medical social workers and registered nurses assess, plan, coordinate and implement a wide variety of services for Mount Nittany Medical Center inpatients and their families. A highly trained case manager will be assigned to particular unit in order to provide expert care for patients' specific healthcare needs.

We are patients' liaison and often act as an advocate for getting services approved. We can help with:

  • Discharge planning, including home health services, personal care placement, hospice care or nursing home placement.
  • Obtaining insurance certifications for services.

  • Finding assistive equipment providers.

We always give patients the choice of which company they would like; we are not permitted to choose an agency for patients. Please see our current list of local providers to find more information about your options.

Find Us

Our office is located on the third floor of Mount Nittany Medical Center. To get here, take the elevators to the third floor. When you exit the elevators, make a right and then another right. We are down that hall on the left.

Frequently Asked Questions

We know that when patients are referred to the Case Management Department, they often have a lot of questions about what that means. We've collected answers to some of the most frequently asked questions here, but feel free to call us at 814.234.6153 or send an email to if you need more information.

When should I contact your department for help?

You may contact our department at anytime during your hospital stay. You may ask your doctor or nurse to contact the case manager assigned to your area, or you may contact our office by calling extension 6153 on your hospital phone.

Are your services free?

There is no charge for case management services. Our services are included as part of your hospital stay.

How do I know what kind of care insurance will cover? 

Insurance covers skilled care only. These are services that need to be provided by a licensed professional such as wound care, intravenous (IV) therapy, and physical, occupational or speech therapy. Home care also requires the individual to be "homebound," meaning unable to get out of the home to receive the needed services.

Why do I need a referral?

Your physician may feel that you require continued care after discharge from the hospital. Our office makes referrals to community agencies and facilities to assist with your care. Referrals are made to community resources, including:

  • Home health
  • Home infusion companies
  • Skilled nursing facilities
  • Personal care/assisted living facilities
  • Rehabilitation hospitals

Are there free services you can refer me to?

There are many free services available in the community. Some of these include:

This is just a sampling of the services that are available in our community. Seniors and their caregivers can find a wealth of helpful information in our Senior Wellness section. There is also a listing of community services in your phone book.

Why can't you recommend a specific provider?

State and federal regulations prohibit case managers from recommending providers. All individuals have the right to choose.

What caretaker resources can you provide?

Your case manager can provide a list of private pay agencies to call for help in the home. In addition, the Office of Aging (814.355.6716) can provide additional resources.

What are personal care homes?

A personal care home provides communal living, often with planned activities, housekeeping, laundry, transportation, meals, exercise, wellness programs and the opportunity to socialize with other residents. Personal care homes can also provide assistance with activities of daily living, like bathing, toileting, eating, dressing, grooming, medication administration and other hygienic needs. Some facilities have special sections for residents who develop Alzheimer's or dementia. This type of care is not typically covered by insurance.

In a nursing home, residents are under 24-hour care by licensed or registered nursing staff or by certified nursing assistants. Some reasons seniors might need skilled nursing care includes: being bedridden, having chronic wounds requiring daily care, colostomy care, physical and occupational therapy, and special medical treatments. This type of care may be covered by insurance if the resident has an acute skilled medical need.

What are home nurses? What is skilled care?

Home health nurses are certified nurses who can provide skilled care in the home. Skilled care is a medical service that needs to be provided by a licensed professional.

Can you help me find a therapist or support group?

To find a therapist if you have health insurance, it is best to check with provider services (by calling the number on the back of you insurance card) to get a list of participating providers. If you have no insurance or if you are looking for a specific type of support group, you can call the Centre County "Can Help" line at 1.800.643.5432.

Can you help me find a job that accommodates my condition/disability?

The Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, or OVR, provides vocational rehabilitation services to help persons with disabilities prepare for, obtain or maintain employment. OVR provides service to eligible individuals with disabilities, both directly and through a network of approved vendors.

The Altoona office serves Centre County and can be contacted at 814.946.7240 or by writing:

Vocational Rehabilitation Services
1130 12th Ave., Suite 500
Altoona, PA 16601

Do you help cancer patients?

Our department provides discharge planning assistance for cancer patients. The case managers assess needs (medically and psychosocially), develop treatment plans, discuss these plans with patients and families, and then implement the treatment plans. Patient advocacy, counseling and crisis intervention, referrals to community services, and connection to patient and nurse navigators are all services provided by case managers.

Can you help parents of special needs children?

Parents of special needs children can seek assistance from professionals at tertiary care centers, from community agencies that provide services to special needs children, and from support groups for parents of special needs children. An infant evaluation program based in Centre County MH/MR is another resource for parents of special needs children.

How can a company be added to your list of providers?

For a company to be placed on our list of providers, a request must be made by the provider to our department with the necessary contact information. Some documentation of credentials may be requested.