Treatment - Allergy Drops
Sublingual immunotherapy, or allergy drops, is a way to treat allergies without shots or medicines. With allergy drops, the patient is exposed to a liquid form of an allergen, which helps boost immunity and, ultimately, eliminate allergy symptoms.
- Safe and effective option for children and adults
- Treats the underlying issue, not just the symptoms, by building a resistance to
- Patients can take the drops anywhere they’d like
- Lower cost compared with some other allergy medications/shots
- Fewer missed days at work/school due to office visits for treatments or symptoms
How it works
An allergen extract (in liquid form) that matches the patient’s specific allergy profile is given. The patient “drops” the extract under the tongue, holds it there for a short period of time and then swallows. The frequency/ duration of using drops varies by patient.
Criteria for allergy drops
Allergy drops are ideal for those looking for an alternative to shots, especially infants/ children and those who have:
- Multiple allergies
- Highly sensitive conditions
- Chronic conditions
To learn more about these services, contact Mount Nittany Physician Group Ear, Nose & Throat/Audiology, located at Mount Nittany Health – Boalsburg.