Patient Rights & Responsibilities
As a patient at Mount Nittany Medical Center, you have significant rights and responsibilities to ensure you receive the best possible care.
At Mount Nittany Health, we fully support the rights and responsibilities of our patients as detailed by the Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania. You can read their brochure, which outlines your patient rights and responsibilities, by downloading it online.
This brochure outlines your rights concerning:
- Making informed decisions and advance directives
- Care planning and delivery
- Privacy and confidentiality
- Hospital bills
- Complaints, concerns and questions
It also addresses patient responsibilities concerning:
- Providing information
- Respect and consideration
- Refusing care
If you have a concern or an unmet need, voicing it directly to your physician, nurse or the nurse manager of your floor, in most cases, resolves the issue quickly and effectively.
If you feel your issue requires more attention or is not resolved to your satisfaction, please contact the Service Excellence Department at 814.234.6706. You may also speak with Service Excellence regarding HCAHPS or Press Ganey surveys. Staff is available Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If calling after hours, please leave a message and a representative will get back to you as soon as possible.
If you feel your issue or concern was not addressed by Mount Nittany Health, you may also contact the Pennsylvania Department of Health:
Pennsylvania Department of Health
Acute and Ambulatory Care Services
P.O. Box 90
Harrisburg, PA 17180-0090
Patient safety concerns can also be reported to The Joint Commission:
- At jointcommission.org, using the “Report a Patient Safety Event” link in the “Action Center” on the home page of the website
- By fax to 630.792.5636
- By mail to:
- Office of Quality and Patient Safety, The Joint Commission,
- One Renaissance Boulevard,
- Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181