Tips & Support
Whether you're a first-time parent or welcoming a sibling into the family, there's always something to learn.
Programs for Parents-To-Be
Free parents-to-be class
Bringing home your baby is a wonderful moment. We want you to be confident in your baby's care - even before that moment arrives!
Expecting parents are invited to join Mount Nittany Physician Group Pediatrics each month for a free class on what to expect in your baby's care. From check-ups and exams to immunizations and more, our pediatricians will explain and help you prepare for the exciting journey ahead.
Classes are held at Mount Nittany Health - Boalsburg. For more information, or to register, call 814.466.7921.
HEIR & Parents Program
Expectant mothers and their coaches are invited to attend. The program includes an overview of Mount Nittany Medical Center maternity services, birthing room tour, rooming-in program, sibling visitation, insurance and more. No registration is needed.
- The class meets the third Thursday of each month.
- Location: Mount Nittany Medical Center ground floor conference rooms 1, 2 and 3.
- Held at 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm and again at 7:45 pm to 8:45 pm.
- Classes are taught by nurses from Women and Children's Services.
What to expect from the HEIR & Parents Program
- Take a tour of the birthing center and learn about everything from pre-registration to taking your baby home.
- Hear about birthing rooms, rooming-in, sibling visitation and more.
- Have questions answered by registered nurses.
- The program is not appropriate for children, but a sibling preparation class is available through the Childbirth Education Association (call 814.237.4232).
Directions to conference rooms for the HEIR & Parents Program
1. Park in the visitors' lot and enter the Medical Center through the Main Entrance.
2. Turn right at the main desk; go down the corridor to the double elevators on the right.
3. Take elevator to "G" (ground floor).
4. Exit the elevator and turn right.
5. The conference rooms are on the right.
Sibling Preparation Class
For information on the sibling preparation class, which includes a tour, call the Childbirth Education Association at 814.237.4232.
Buckle Up Baby
The Child Protection Act states that children must ride in an approved, age-appropriate child restraint seat from birth until their eighth birthday. The car seat should be placed in the back seat of the car, in the center, if possible.
Do not place the car seat near an air bag. The tremendous force of an inflating air bag can cause serious head/brain injuries and even death.
The American Academy of Pediatrics advises parents that all infants and toddlers should ride in the rear-facing safety seats until they are two years of age or until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of their child safety seat. Children should continue to ride in a forward facing child restraint seat until for as long as possible, up to the highest weight or height allowed by their car seat's manufacturer. All children whose weight and height is above the forward-facing limit for their car seat should use a belt-positioning booster seat until the vehicle seat belt fits properly, typically when they have reached four feet nine inches in height and are between eight and 12 years of age.
Bring in the baby's car seat before discharge so you can practice positioning your baby in the seat. Mount Nittany Medical Center does not offer a car seat rental program, but new parents can contact Swartz Fire and Safety at 814.355.9033.
Car Seat Safety Checks
Mount Nittany Physician Group Pediatrics offers car seat safety checks every Monday – Wednesday and Friday, between 8:00 am – 5:00 pm at no cost.
Let our certified car seat safety educator make sure your seat is installed correctly with a free car seat safety check.
Call 814.466.7921 to make an appointment. Appointments take place at Mount Nittany Health - Boalsburg, located at 3901 S. Atherton Street, State College
What to bring:
- The vehicle your child will be riding in
- Your child’s car seat
- Your child’s car seat manual
- Your car owner’s manual
- Your child (if possible)