November is National Diabetes Awareness Month
- You can help reduce your risk of diabetes by understanding your risk and making changes to your lifestyle. Lower your risk in the following ways:
- Exercise regularly: Moderate physical activity on most days of the week helps manage weight, reduce blood glucose levels and may improve cholesterol and blood pressure
- Eat a balanced, healthy diet: Reduce the amount of fat in your diet – eat more fruit, vegetables, and high-fiber foods. Be sure to cut back on salt.
- Go for whole grains: Try to make at least half your grains whole grains. Many foods made from whole grains come ready to eat such as breads, pasta products and cereals. Look for the word “whole” on the package and among the first few items in the ingredient list.
- Visit mountnittany.org/diabetesmonth throughout the month of November for events to get you moving in honor of National Diabetes Awareness Month.
For more health-related information, visit mountnittany.org.