Most people don’t realize what all needs to be done to ensure your home is childproofed. As a New Year’s resolution, check each room in your house.
- Put a childproof lock on the medicine cabinet that holds prescription medicines, over-the counter medicines, and vitamins and supplements.
- Keep nail polish removers, cosmetics, mouthwash, perfume and razors out of reach of children.
- Place a knob cover on the bathtub so your children cannot turn on the water on their own.
- Keep window blind cords out of reach by looping the cord around the top of the blinds.
- Put a childproof lock on all cabinets and drawers.
- Secure dressers/cabinets to the wall to prevent them from tipping over
- Place a fireplace gate around fireplaces and wood stoves.
- Put edge cushions on sharp corners and edges.
- Secure furniture such as TVs and bookshelves to the wall by using brackets or straps.
- Keep all alcohol in a locked cabinet.
- Install stove knob guards.
- When you’re not using small appliances, unplug the cords and wind them up.
- Keep dishwashing detergent in a cabinet with a childproof lock.
- Place refrigerator magnets out of reach
- Make sure your garage door has a sensor that prevents it from closing when something or someone is underneath it.
- Store antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, gasoline, and insecticides out of reach.
Also, some general tips in the entire house include putting childproof covers on doorknobs and put outlet covers on all outlets. Store cleaning supplies such as bleach, all-purpose cleaners, furniture polish, drain openers and laundry detergent out of reach. Some laundry detergent pods are colorful and look like candy, making them appealing to small children.
To ensure your child is safe from everything, go throughout your entire house at their height to get a better understanding of what your child has access to.