Tonsil, Adenoid, and Ear Tube Surgery: Preparing for Surgery
Below are some things that you will need to do before your child's surgery.
Preparing for surgery
- Bring your child for any pre-surgery tests the doctor orders. These may include blood and urine tests. (Not all children need testing.)
- Follow instructions about what your child can eat and drink before surgery.
- If your child takes any prescribed or over-the-counter medicines, ask the doctor about taking them before surgery.
- Help your child choose a toy or blanket to bring to the hospital.
- Bathe your child and remove any jewelry and hair accessories. This includes hair clips and earrings.
- Call the surgeon if your child gets sick before surgery. Surgery may need to be delayed.
- Ask the surgeon about other special instructions.