Managing Post-Op Pain at Home: Non-Medication Relief
Medications are not the only way to manage pain after surgery. Try the following techniques.
Visualization or guided imagery
Visualization helps take your mind off the pain:
- Close your eyes. Breathe deeply.
- Picture yourself in a quiet, peaceful place.
- Imagine how you feel in that place.
- If other thoughts enter your mind, take a deep breath and try again.
Progressive body relaxation
Relaxation helps relieve stress and pain:
- Close your eyes. Clench your foot muscles.
- Hold for a few seconds. Release.
- Repeat with the muscles in your calves.
- Work slowly up your body, tensing and relaxing different muscle groups from your abdomen, chest, arms, neck, and face.
Deep breathing relaxes your whole body:
- Inhale through your nose slowly and deeply.
- Hold your breath for a couple of seconds.
- Exhale through your mouth slowly and deeply.