Winter weather is certainly in full blast. Here’s what to do if you ever become trapped in your car during a snowstorm.
- Save your battery. – Do not let it go to waste. Balance your electrical needs and conserve your battery power.
- Don’t sleep. – At least one person should stay awake to look for rescue.
- Exercise and insulate. – Move around to maintain body heat and use every available covering to keep insulated. Huddle with other passengers.
- Ventilate. – If you run the engine to keep warm, open a window slightly for ventilation and periodically clear snow from the exhaust pipe. Otherwise you risk the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Use your “flashers.” – Set your turn signals to flashing and hang a distress flag from the car, such as an old shirt or towel.