- In honor of October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, here are five ways to reduce your risk for breast cancer:
- Get physical: Daily exercise, even walking, can reduce your risk of getting breast cancer.
- Check your breasts every month for abnormal changes; this can help detect early warning signs of the disease.
- Quit smoking and limit alcohol, as both can increase a woman’s risk of breast cancer.
- Get a mammogram: Talk with your doctor about when you need to be screened. Screenings can detect lumps that may not be felt during a self-exam.
- Be aware of your family history and let your physician know if there is a history of any type of cancer in your family.
For more health-related information, visit mountnittany.org.