March is Save Your Vision Month. Follow these tips to help improve your eyesight and decrease your risk of developing certain eye problems and diseases.
- Have a regular, comprehensive eye exam to ensure your eyes are healthy and that you are wearing the correct lens prescription, if necessary.
- Wear UV blocking sunglasses to delay the development of cataracts.
- If you smoke, quit. Smoking tobacco is directly linked to harmful health effects, including age-related macular degeneration and the onset of cataracts.
- Eat leafy green vegetables and carrots to make sure your diet is high in certain nutrients like vitamins C and E, zinc and lutein.
- Looking at a computer for long periods of time can cause eye strain. Follow the 20-20-20 rule by looking up from your work every 20 minutes and focusing on an object 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
For more health-related information, visit moutnittany.org.