Despite the name, general surgeons primarily handle procedures involving the torso—specifically, diseases of the bowel, gallbladder, stomach and other digestive organs. General surgery also includes procedures related to the breasts as well as hernias.
General surgeons perform the following procedures for Mount Nittany Health patients:
- Gallbladder removal, including laparoscopic cholecystectomy, a minimally invasive surgery option
- Colorectal surgery (formerly known as proctology)
- Hernia repairs (all types)
- Thyroidectomy/parathyroidectomy for thyroid disease treatment
- A-port insertion for administering long-term intravenous medication
- Breast biopsies and sentinel node biopsies
- Breast surgery, including mastectomy and lumpectomy procedures
Learn more about how to prepare for and what to expect during your procedure:
Mount Nittany Physician Group Providers
Health Break Article
Imagine that you must have surgery. You've made all the arrangements (emotional readiness, time off work, child care, etc.). Then, you find out on the day of surgery that your procedure will be delayed or cancelled for reasons that you may or may not have been in control of. When surgeries are delayed or canceled, there are usually good reasons for it ultimately for the safety of the patients. By understanding the reasons for canceling or delaying surgery on the day it was scheduled, patients might be able to avoid some of the delays and cancellations. Other reasons might be unavoidable. Here might be some specific reasons for delaying or canceling your surgery on the day it was scheduled: You ate or drank the day of surgery: Food and li...