Critically ill patients require highly specialized care as well as the latest equipment and technology to facilitate a comfortable recovery.
Located in the recently remodeled east wing of Mount Nittany Medical Center, the Medical and Surgical Intensive Care Unit provides this level of care for the adult patients that need it.
The Surgical ICU is located on the first floor near the operating room and Emergency Department. It is for patients who require critical cardiac care and treatment.
The Medical ICU, a 12-bed unit on the second floor, is a telemetry unit, generally for patients whose conditions are improving but still require some close monitoring. It is also used when the Surgical ICU is full.
Critical care patients receive highly individualized, multidisciplinary nursing care from a staff specially trained to handle life-threatening medical needs.
Both floors of the ICU provide leading-edge amenities to improve patient care, including:
- High tech patient beds that adjust to avoid bedsores for long-term critical care patients.
- Full-room, birds-eye monitoring and an open floor plan.
- Computerized access portals outside windowed rooms that medical professionals can use to observe patients without disrupting them.
- The latest ventilating systems—negative pressure suites are available for patients that may need them.
- Private consultation areas for staff to discus medical issues with family members without interruption.