There are important preparations you need to take care of before your surgery takes place.
Please be sure to make the following arrangements before your surgery:
- Call us between 1 and 3 p.m. the working day before surgery to receive your arrival time. The phone number is 814.234.6750 or 888.440.2272. If your surgery is delayed or cancelled, you will be called.
- Notify your physician if you develop any illness that may affect your surgery.
- Arrange to have a responsible adult with you on the day of your surgery. This person should remain in the waiting area or be available by phone. He or she will be responsible for your transportation to and from Mount Nittany Surgical Center. A taxicab or van service is not permitted for transportation following surgery unless a responsible adult accompanies you.
- All minors (patients under age 18 years old) must be accompanied by one parent or legal guardian, though both parents are welcome.
- If you are accompanying a small child to surgery, we encourage you to bring a special toy or blanket for his or her added comfort. Read more about how to prepare your child for surgery here.
- The average length of stay is three hours (including registration and recovery time).
- If you are traveling a distance, you may want to bring a pillow or blanket for your trip home.
- If crutches will be needed, please obtain them prior to day of surgery.
Your physician will provide instructions specific to your procedure, but this checklist is a good place to start.
- Bathe or shower the night before or morning of your surgery.
- Do not shave the operative site.
- Follow your physician's instructions concerning heart, blood pressure, and/or other medications.
- Do not wear makeup or nail polish.
- Leave jewelry and valuables at home.
- Do not smoke for 24 hours before the day of the surgery.
Pre-Surgery Dietary Instructions for Patients Receiving General Anesthesia
- Do not eat or drink after midnight the night before your scheduled surgery date.
- Chewing gum, hard candy and any kind of tobacco product (cigarettes, cigars, pipes or chewing tobacco) are strongly discouraged.
- Eating and/or drinking may result in the surgery being cancelled for your safety.
- Unless otherwise informed by your surgeon, take any scheduled prescribed medications with a tablespoon of water the morning of your surgery.
Special Instructions for Patients with Diabetes
Dietary instructions for patients with diabetes vary depending on the severity of the patient's diabetes, history of insulin requirements, and the time and nature of the surgical procedure.
- If you have diabetes and are scheduled to arrive at the Surgical Center at or before 11 a.m., do not take your diabetes medications (pills or insulin) and follow the pre-surgery dietary instructions above.
- If you have diabetes and are scheduled to arrive later than 11 a.m., please call the Surgical Center and ask to speak to an anesthesiologist who will advise you of your dietary instructions.
- Please bring your diabetes medications and blood sugar monitoring device (glucometer) with you to the Surgical Center.
For your safety, failure to follow these instruction will likely result in the cancellation of your surgery.