After being discharged, make sure you follow all of your physician's instructions.
Discharge instructions typically include the following reponsibilities:
- Fill any prescriptions given by the surgeon and follow the discharge instructions about administering medication, if applicable.
- Give your child clear liquids, such as ginger ale, apple juice, sports drinks and popsicles.
- Give your child light meals the first day home from surgery and avoid fast food, which is too heavy and greasy for the post-op period.
- Your child will probably want to sleep or rest comfortably for some time upon your return home. Keep physical activity to a bare minimum unless otherwise instructed by your physician.
- Keep the discharge instructions on your refrigerator or near your telephone.
- Call your physician's office or the Surgical Center at 814.234.6750 if you have any questions or any problems arise. If there are serious complications, go to the Emergency Department immediately.