It takes hundreds of people to fulfill all the rewarding volunteer opportunities at Mount Nittany Medical Center. In fact, the Medical Center receives roughly 68,000 hours of volunteer service annually.
Our volunteers are a diverse group. Whether you are retired, a teen, a Penn State student or just a local resident with the urge to help, we are always in need of volunteers and can find something that fits your interests and time schedule.
Mount Nittany Medical Center volunteers say their reward comes from helping others. Our program empowers volunteers to:
- Provide help to medical professionals so they can provide more direct patient care.
- Obtain experience in a clinical setting.
- Provide superior customer service and create positive experiences for people.
- Explore career opportunities.
- Make contacts that are important for career options.
- Expand personal friendships.
- Learn skills and become more comfortable in a medical setting.
There are many opportunities to assist staff, patients, their families and visitors in a variety of ways. Volunteer opportunities within Mount Nittany Medical Center include:
- Ambulatory Services Department
- Center Medical Surgical Center
- Emergency Department
- Endoscopy Department
- Gift Shop
- Guest Services
- Health Information Management Department
- Occupational Therapy Department
- Nutrition Department
- Park Avenue Imaging
- Pastoral Care
- Patient floors
- Penns Valley Area Family Medicine
- Pharmacy Department
- Physical Therapy Department
- Radiation Oncology
- Audiology Department
- Reception Desk
- Safety Sitter
- Silver Spoons
- Snack bar cashier
- Snack bar counter
- Store room
- Ultrasound waiting room
- Volunteer Department
There also many opportunities to fulfill hospital needs from home, including:
- Creating sewn teddy bears
- Knitting baby hats, booties and blankets
- Knitting or crocheting blankets for adults
- Creating Jared Boxes and providing other items that will brighten a young person's day
- Providing current magazines for people in waiting rooms
How to Apply
We encourage you to apply to join our volunteer group of people if:
- You are a dependable person with a sincere desire to help others.
- You are willing and able to devote a minimum of two shifts per month. (Most shifts are three to four hours in length at specified times.)
- You will provide a minimum of 40 hours of service or more throughout your entire time as a volunteer.
Becoming a volunteer is a multiple-step process:
- Completion and submission of all application materials (including proof of immunizations and references)
- Interview (90 minutes)
- Orientation (two hours)
- Training sessions with experienced volunteers (three to 12 hours, depending on location)