Select patients may be requested to attend a Pre-Admission Testing and Evaluation Appointment.
Your physician may schedule you for a pre-anesthesia testing appointment to prepare for your procedure. This appointment will help prepare and educate you to have the best outcome for your surgery.
On the day of your pre-admission testing appointment, you will arrive at Mount Nittany Medical Center, NOT the Surgical Center.
When you arrive to the pre-admission testing area, an anesthesia staff member will meet with you and review your medical history. Please bring a list of your medicines and dosage. They will review any concerns or questions you may have about your anesthesia.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the pre-admission testing clinic at 814.231.7050 between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Planning for Surgery
You should complete pre-op testing such as: Blood and urine testing, electrocardiogram (EKG), and X-rays.
- NOTE: Ask your doctor what medicines you should and should not take before and after your surgery. If you take Aspirin, Coumadin or other blood thinners for your heart condition, please contact your doctor for instructions. Please check at least 10 days before your surgery for these instructions.
- If crutches are needed, please get them prior to day of surgery.
- All minors (under 18 years of age) must have one parent or legal guardian with them at all times. If you are with a small child, we encourage you to bring a special toy or blanket. We will make every attempt to keep you and your child together as much as possible on the day of surgery.
- Visiting guidelines: In the interest of the patient’s well-being, we recommend no more than two visitors per patient at a time. You and your family will receive more information the day of the procedure of where to wait and when you can be with your family.
DO NOT DRIVE AFTER SURGERY for 24 hours
Have a responsible adult with you the day of surgery. This person should stay in the waiting room area. They are responsible for your transportation. A taxicab/bus is not permitted for transportation following surgery unless a responsible adult is with you (NOT the taxi driver or bus driver).
Evening before Surgery
To find out what time you need to be here, call us between 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm on the day before surgery. The office is open Monday through Friday. If the surgery is on Monday, call us on Friday. The phone number is 814.234.6750 or 888.440.2272.
Canceled surgeries: If the governor declares a weather-related State of Emergency, all procedures at the Surgery Center will be delayed or canceled. You will be notified if your surgery is delayed or canceled.
- Bathe or shower the night before or morning of your surgery.
- Do not shave operative site, use depilatory agents or do anything that might damage the skin at or around the incision site within the 24 hours before your operation. The anesthesiologist may give special instructions for men to trim their facial hair.
After midnight before the day of your surgery:
- Do not eat (including gum/mints)
- Do not drink (including water)
- Do not smoke or use chewing tobacco
Note: If you were instructed by your physician to bowel prep, you may prep as instructed with only the amount of fluids required for the prep.
If there is any change in your physical condition, such as a cough, cold, fever, infection or rash, please notify your physician before coming to the Surgery Center. If you are unable to reach your physician, please call 814.234.6750.