Day of Surgery
To make sure your child's day of surgery goes as smoothly as possible, please follow all of these instructions.
Parents are required to accompany children throughout the process, except in the operating room.
- Parents may stay with their child in the pre-operative area as a nurse takes the child's vital signs and prepares him or her for surgery. An anesthesiologist will also see the child at this time.
- A nurse and the anesthesiologist will accompany your child to the operating room.
- One parent/legal guardian must remain in the waiting room at all times during the surgery.
- At the end of surgery, the surgeon will update you on your child's condition and how the surgery went.
- After the surgery is complete, your child will be taken to a private recovery room and attended by his or her own nurse while the anesthesia wears off.
- As soon as your child is awake and stable, he or she will be taken to the post-operative area, where you will be reunited with him or her. The nurses will answer any questions you may have and will give you detailed verbal and written instructions as ordered by the surgeon.