Health Career Exploration Program
Mount Nittany Medical Center's Health Career Exploration program provides an opportunity for students who are interested in healthcare careers to explore possibilities with healthcare workers. Observation within patient care areas will also be available.
Date: Friday, October 2, 2015
Time: 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Students participating in the program will observe the pathway a patient may follow based on their medical condition. There are four choices available for participants: heart attack, asthma, maternity or surgery, which will lead the participant through six departments that a patient would typically access while receiving care. Although participants will interact directly with healthcare workers, tours and observation of patient care areas will be permitted only in situations that do not interfere with patient care or patient privacy.
Healthcare personnel will be prepared to talk about their department and the healthcare patients receive within that particular department. In addition, health career options available in various departments along with career preparation and training (education) requirements will be discussed. During the experience, students are encouraged to ask questions about patient care or career options.
Following participation in the Health Career Exploration experience, the student will be able to:
- State the purpose and function of various Medical Center departments.
- Interact with multiple healthcare professionals and list their primary job responsibilities.
- Discuss educational requirements of various healthcare careers.
Eligible participants: Students currently enrolled in high school (11th and 12th grade) or college
Application instructions (applications due September 4, 2015)
- Complete the online application
- Complete the Confidentiality Statement and the Authorization Form (if under age 18 years)
- Send your completed Confidentiality Statement and signed Authorization Form (if under 18 years) to us via:
Mount Nittany Medical Center
Attention: Jaimi Williams
1800 East Park Avenue
State College, PA 16803
- Scanned email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or fax: 814.231.3173
Note: Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Applicants will be sent an email acknowledging receipt of their application. Students accepted into the program will be confirmed by email no later than Friday, September 18, 2014. Upon completion of the program, participants will receive a certificate of completion.