Here are just a few recent product recalls as announced by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. For the most up-to-date recall information, please visit www.cpsc.gov and click on the Recalls tab from the home page.
General drowning warning issued by US Consumer Product Safety Commission
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently issued a report on in-home drownings and non-fatal submersions as a way to educate parents and caregivers "to look for and protect against drowning risks inside and around their homes."
The CPSC has estimated that more than 400 deaths over a five-year period are directly attributed to drownings in products such as bathtubs, buckets, bath seats, toilets, and landscaping features.
To protect your family, the CPSC offers these drowning prevention safety tips:
- Never leave young children alone near any water, tub or basin with fluid. Young children can drown in even small amounts of liquid.
- Always keep a young child within arm's reach in a bathtub. If you must leave, take the child with you.
- Don't leave a baby or young child in a bathtub under the care of another child.
- Never leave a bucket containing even a small amount of liquid unattended. Toddlers are top heavy and they can fall head first into buckets and drown. After using a bucket, always empty and store it where young children cannot reach it. Don't leave buckets outside where they can collect rainwater.
- Consider placing locks on toilet seat covers in case a young child wanders into the bathroom.
- Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). It can be a lifesaver when seconds count!
Name of Product: Graco Classic Wood Highchairs
Hazard: The high chair's seat can loosen or detach from the base, posing a fall hazard to the child.
Incidents/Injuries: Graco has received 58 reports of highchairs' seats loosening or detaching from the base. There have been nine reports of children falling as the seat detached from the base, resulting in reports of bumps, bruises, and scratches. Graco has received one report of a concussion in Canada.
Description: This recall involves all Graco brand Classic Wood Highchairs sold in three wood finishes. The highchair has a top seat, bottom leg assembly, and removable tray. The highchair is sold with a beige fabric seat cover. Model number 3C00BPN, 3C00BPN TC, 3C00CHY, 3C00CHY TC, 3C00CPO or 3C00CPO TC is printed on a label on the underside of the seat assembly.
Sold at: Babies R Us, Burlington Coat Factory and other retail stores nationwide and at Target.com and Walmart.com and other online retailers between September 2007 and December 2010 for about $130.
Manufactured in: China
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled highchairs and contact Graco for a free repair kit.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Graco at 800.345.4109 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm's website at www.gracobaby.com.