If someone were to ask me what my favorite cosmetic office procedure was, I would without hesitation respond facial fillers. I not only love watching the instant transformation on our patients, but also could not personally imagine having to live with deep smile lines on my own face ever again.
Dr. Peterson injects facial fillers, made of hyaluronic acid, that are soft, malleable and last approximately 9-12 months. In general, facial fillers are best used for lines of the lower face, such as the smile lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth (nasolabial folds) and the line from the corners of the mouth down to the jaw (marionette lines).
I personally find this treatment appealing not only because it feels and looks natural but also because it can be tailored to your own personal wants and needs. If you are looking for a subtle improvement or a more noticeable enhancement, facial fillers may achieve both depending on the amount injected.
Facial fillers: What to expect
- While some fillers include an anesthetic as part of the injection, we find some patients choose to use a topical anesthetic cream to numb the area prior to their appointment while others find that icing the area is sufficient to decrease discomfort.
- A typical treatment will take several injections in the targeted area to achieve the desired results.
- Since swelling and bruising can be a common side effect we do not recommend getting the filler immediately prior to an important function. Ice can be used following your treatment to decrease swelling.
- Avoid wearing makeup for the first 24-hours after your treatment. The only exception is mineral makeup, which can be used immediately to camouflage any bruising.
- Some patients choose to take the herbal supplement Arnica for several days prior to the filler injection to decrease the risk of bruising.
- Avoiding medications, such as Motrin, Aleve, aspirin, and fish oil and garlic supplements for seven days prior to your appointment can also keep bruising to a minimum.
Interested in finding out if facial fillers are right for you? Call our office to schedule a consultation!