If someone were to ask me what my favorite cosmetic office procedure is, I would without hesitation respond facial fillers. I not only love watching the instant transformation on our patients, but also can not personally imagine having to live with deep smile lines on my own face ever again.
In general, facial fillers are best used for lines of the lower face, such as the smile lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth (nasolabial folds) and the line from the corners of the mouth down to the jaw (marionette lines). Dr. Peterson injects fillers made of hyaluronic acid into problem areas using a fine needle. This results in a smooth, natural look that lasts approximately nine to 12 months.
I personally find this treatment appealing not only because it feels and looks natural but also because it can be tailored to your own personal wants and needs. If you are looking for a subtle improvement or a more noticeable enhancement, facial fillers may achieve both depending on the amount injected.
Facial fillers: What to expect
- Treatment takes around half an hour from start to finish, and requires almost no recovery period. It's an excellent option for busy lifestyles!
- A typical treatment will take several injections in the targeted area to achieve the desired results.
- While some fillers include an anesthetic as part of the injection, we find some patients choose to use a topical anesthetic cream to numb the area prior to their appointment while others find that icing the area is sufficient to decrease discomfort.
- To look your best, it is recommended to schedule your treatment several weeks before an important function.
- Some bruising and swelling at the injection site is normal. To help decrease the risk of bruising, avoid medications such as Motrin, Aleve, aspirin, and fish oil and garlic supplements for seven days prior to your appointment. Some patients choose to take the herbal supplement Arnica for several days prior to the filler injection.
- Ice packs can be used following your treatment to decrease swelling.
- We recommend not wearing makeup for the first 24-hours after your treatment. The only exception is mineral makeup, which can be used immediately to camouflage any bruising.
Interested in finding out if facial fillers are right for you? Call our office to schedule a consultation!