- Don’t leave foods unrefrigerated for more than two hours. If the ice has melted in the cooler, discard the food
- Keep the cooler in the air conditioned part of the car instead of the trunk
- Pack raw meats on the bottom so they don’t drip on other foods, and store them in sealed plastic bags
- A full cooler will stay cold longer than one that is partially full. Use a smaller cooler if necessary
- Use a separate cooler for drinks so the one containing food won’t be opened and closed constantly
- Regarding food safety: when in doubt, throw it out
For more health-related information, visit mountnittany.org.