May is Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month
- Asthma is a lung disease where airways become blocked or narrowed, resulting in breathing difficulty.
- This chronic disease affects 20 million Americans.
- Asthma can be classified as “allergic” or “non-allergic.”
- Asthma triggers may include seasonal allergens, air irritants, respiratory infections, exercise, weather and even some medications.
- For those with asthma, know your triggers, take your medication as prescribed, and know what to do in an emergency.
- Speak with a pulmonologist or family physician for persistent, severe asthma.
For more health-related information, visit mountnittany.org.