News | Published June 14, 2012

Laundry detergent single-dose packs pose threat to children

We all know how much children love to put things of all shapes and sizes in their mouths. The newest potential danger in this regard is with single-dose detergent packs which are brightly-colored and bite-sized, making them appealing for curious kids.

While they may be convenient for busy parents, these detergent packs are even more dangerous than usual-strength detergent due to the combination of chemicals in a higher concentration.

Bruce Ruck, with the New Jersey Poison Control Center, said, "We really haven't, with regular laundry detergent, seen the breathing problems and the significant vomiting that we've seen with these pods."

These pods not only have the potential to make children violently ill if ingested but can cause eye and skin irritation if punctured.

The manufacturer of Tide, Procter & Gamble, recently announced that they plan to modify the packaging of their product to make it more difficult for children to access the colorful pods.

This is another example of unintended consequences. These pods are super easy to use, but are unfortunately bright and very intriguing to kids. Please be careful and keep these away from where your kids could possibly get into them. Remember to keep all cleaning supplies out of your children's reach by putting them in cabinets with child-proof latches or in storage that small children cannot reach - even those curious toddlers who like to climb. Don't forget to teach older children the dangers of household products. If you suspect your child has ingested or otherwise been affected by household chemicals, contact the Poison Control Center at 800.222.1222 or call 911 immediately.

 

The Foundation’s 21st Annual Golf Tournament raised $150,000 for the new Cancer Center.

More Info