Most people don’t realize what all needs to be done to ensure your home is childproofed. As a New Year’s resolution, check each room in your house. A good guide to follow is The Ultimate Childproofing Guide by homeinsurance.org. Here are a few of their tips:
- Put a childproof lock on the medicine cabinet.
- Keep cleansers, bleach and razors out of reach of children.
- Place a knob cover on the bathtub so your children cannot turn on the water on their own.
- Keep window blind cords out of reach by looping the cord around the top of the blinds.
- Put a childproof lock on all cabinets and drawers.
- Place a fireplace gate around fireplaces and wood stoves.
- Put edge cushions on sharp corners and edges.
- Secure furniture such as TVs and bookshelves to the wall by using brackets or straps.
- Keep all alcohol in a locked cabinet.
- Install stove knob guards.
- When you’re not using small appliances, unplug the cords and wind them up.
- Make sure your garage door has a sensor that prevents it from closing when something or someone is underneath it.
Also, some general tips in the entire house include putting childproof covers on door knobs and put outlet covers on all outlets.
To ensure your child is safe from everything, go throughout your entire house at their height to get a better understanding of what your child has access to.