Managing Dizziness (Vertigo) with Medications
Although medications can't cure your problem, they can help control symptoms. Your doctor may prescribe medications for a few weeks and then taper them off.
If you have side effects from your medications, contact your healthcare provider right away.
How medications can help
- Treat infection or inflammation. If you have a bacterial infection, your doctor can prescribe antibiotics.
- Limit conflicting balance signals. These medications are often in pill form.
- Ease nausea. Suppositories, pills, or shots may be used to reduce vomiting.
- Reduce pressure in the canals. Diuretics can be used to treat Meniere's disease. These medications help rid the body of excess fluid.
- Ease other symptoms. Other medications can help ease depression and anxiety caused by living with dizziness or fainting.