Home Safety After Joint Surgery
If your movement is limited during recovery, ask a family member or friend to help prepare your living space. This helps make it safer and more comfortable while you heal. Use the tips below as a guide.
Home safety tips
- Stock up on toiletries, foods that are easy to prepare, and other items you'll need during recovery.
- Store foods and other supplies between waist and shoulder level. This makes it easier to reach things without straining.
- Buy or borrow a portable telephone so you can keep it within easy reach.
- Ask your doctor whether you need to limit using stairs. If you do, and you normally sleep upstairs, prepare a bedroom on the main living level.
- Make sure rooms are well-lit.
- Keep items you use often in easy reach.
- Move electrical cords out of the way so they don't trip you.
- Remove throw rugs to prevent slipping or tripping.
- Watch for pets or small objects on the floor.
- Add firm pillows to a low chair to help make getting up easier.
Ask friends and family to help out by checking in with you regularly. They may also help by running simple errands or doing small jobs around the house as you recover.