Hip Safety: Sleeping Positions
Your new hip needs extra care while it heals. Follow your "hip precautions" to help you avoid injuring it. Use the tips on this sheet to help keep your new hip safe while sleeping. Be sure to follow any guidelines from your healthcare provider.
- Find a position that keeps your hip safe and comfortable.
- Use pillows to keep your hip in a safe position.
- Follow your healthcare provider's instructions about which side to sleep on.
Remember your hip precautions
- Keep the angle at your hip greater than 90?. (Don't move your knees and chest too far toward each other.)
- Do not cross your legs or ankles or let your operated thigh cross the middle of your body.
- Do not turn your operated hip or knee inward.