Discharge Instructions: Eating a Full Liquid Diet
Your health care provider prescribed a full liquid diet temporarily for you. You may have trouble swallowing solid foods. Or, you may have had surgery and not be ready for solid food or need to advance to solid foods gradually. Here's what you need to know about this type of diet.
- Remember, this diet is temporary. You should not follow this diet longer than directed because it doesn't provide you with enough energy or protein.
- Contact your health care provider if you are on this diet for more than 5 days. You may need nutritional or vitamin supplements.
- Keep track of the amount of liquid that you drink and anything you eat while on this diet. Keep a log for your health care provider.
Choose these foods
- Choose fruit juices without pulp, such as apple juice, grape juice, cranberry juice, and nectars.
- Choose drinks such as coffee, tea (hot or cold), fruit flavored drinks, soda, water, milk (whole, skim, 1%, and 2%), cream, instant breakfast drinks, and liquid meal replacements.
- Choose desserts and snacks such as fruit ices (without chunks of fruit), plain or vanilla yogurt, plain gelatin, hard candy, Popsicles made from juices, custards, frozen yogurt, smoothies without chunks, ice cream (without nuts or candy), and pudding.
- Choose broth, bouillon, fat-free consomm?, or strained cream soups.
- Choose thin, refined hot cereals, such as porridge, and grits.
Don't eat these foods
- Don't eat canned, fresh, or frozen fruit.
- Don't eat soup with vegetables, noodles, rice, meat, or other chunks of food in it.
- Don't eat vegetables, bread, whole cereal and grain products, meat, chicken, fish, meat substitutes (nuts, tofu, etc.), oils, butter, or margarine.
Make a follow-up appointment as directed by our staff.
When to call your health care provider
Call your health care provider right away if you have any of the following:
- Fever of 100.4?F (38.0?C) or higher
- Diarrhea that lasts for more than 1 day
- Vomiting that does not stop
- Trouble urinating
- Trouble passing gas
- Abdominal pain with bloating and cramping