You turn to Mount Nittany for tips to keep your mind and body healthy. Here are tips to nurture your career from Mount Nittany's Director of Human Resources Georgiana Gallaher. Put these tips to use at The Pennsylvania State University's upcoming career fair event Sept. 20 to 22, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Bryce Jordan Center or at any upcoming job fair!
We have one opportunity to make a good first impression. Do you realize that recruiters often form first impressions within 30 seconds or less?
Here's how to make the best impression at your next career fair:
- This is a business meeting. Proper attire and good grooming are essential.
- If you have access to a list of attendees, research the companies and prepare a list of appropriate questions.
- Be prepared to talk about your relevant experiences and how you would add value to the organization.
- Take copies of an up-to-date résumé.
- Good posture conveys a sense of self-confidence.
- Maintain eye contact during your conversation.
- Do not monopolize the recruiters' time. Be considerate of other attendees waiting in line.
Don't forget to smile and project a positive attitude! Leave the recruiters with the impression that you are someone who would be an asset to the organization and a valued team player.
Georgiana Gallaher, SPHR, is Director of Human Resources for Mount Nittany Medical Center. She has extensive experience in human resources, focusing on recruitment and human resources management.