Breastfeeding is the best way to give newborns the nutrients they need. August 1 - 7 marks the celebration of World Breastfeeding Week, which encourages breastfeeding and seeks to improve the health of newborns worldwide. When making decisions about breastfeeding, consider the following benefits:
- Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for infants, offering the perfect mix of vitamins, protein and fat
- Breast milk is easier to digest than formula
- Antibodies found in breast milk help protect newborns from viruses and bacteria
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of developing asthma, allergies, diabetes and cancer
- Breastfed babies have fewer ear infections, respiratory illness, diarrhea, hospitalizations and trips to the doctor
- Breastfeeding helps lower the incidence of sudden infant death syndrome and obesity, research shows
For more health-related information, visit mountnittany.org.