Where Mount Nittany Health stands today is the result of a journey that spans more than 100 years. It all began July 8, 1902, when Bellefonte Hospital incorporated in a frame house with six patient beds.
Continual growth led to a number of building and expansion programs as well as a name change to Centre County Hospital in 1924 and then to Centre Community Hospital in 1971. To meet increasing demand for services, a new hospital building, known as the Mountainview Unit, opened July 26, 1972 in State College. The Bellefonte Hospital, called the Willowbank Unit, and the Mountainview Unit both operated until 1978, when Willowbank was closed.
Major construction projects were completed in 1980 with the south wing, 1984 with the Health Services Wing, 1989 with the Branigan Wing-Emergency Department and 1993 with an expansion and renovation. The Centre Medical Sciences Building opened in 1994, and the Centre Community Surgical Center began operation there.
During 1996 and 1997, major additions included a new Birthing Center, a new Transitional Care Unit, an expansion of the laboratory and an operating suite renovation. An affiliation between Centre Community Hospital, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Lehigh Valley Hospital created the Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute in September 2000.
On Nov. 6, 2003, Centre Community Hospital's name was changed to Mount Nittany Medical Center, signifying its growth as a regional medical center. In 2007, Mount Nittany Medical Center, along with Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and local physicians, added interventional cardiology to its program. In 2010, the Medical Center opened the state-of-the-art east wing.
On Jan. 1, 2011, the Mount Nittany Medical Center Board of Trustees incorporated the by-laws and corporate structure to transition the hospital-based entity into a system organization. It also announced a major renovation and expansion of the Emergency Department and the construction of a comprehensive Cancer Pavilion and the addition of 51 physicians to its Physician Group.
Today, Mount Nittany Health has emerged as a regional health system; growing in scope and prominence, it has focused on a singular mission of providing superior care to the communities it serves.
The system includes a parent organization, Mount Nittany Health, along with Mount Nittany Medical Center, a 260-bed acute care facility, and Mount Nittany Physician Group, a practice with more than 70 physicians in more than half a dozen locations throughout the region as well as its fundraising and development entity, The Foundation for Mount Nittany Medical Center.
Bellefonte Hospital, a six-bed community hospital, was founded.
Continual growth led to the construction of a number of buildings, an expansion and a name change to Centre County Hospital.
Hospital renamed Centre Community Hospital.
To meet increasing demand for services, a new facility, referred to as the Mountainview Unit, opened in State College.
The Bellefonte facility was renamed the Willowbank Unit.
To better serve patients, the Willowbank Unit closed and services were consolidated at the Mountainview Unit.
Penn State Hershey Cancer Institute was created.
Centre Community Hospital became Mount Nittany Medical Center.
The Foundation for Mount Nittany Medical Center incorporated.
Mount Nittany Medical Center, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and The Pennsylvania State University signed a master affiliation agreement.
Interventional cardiology services were added at Mount Nittany Medical Center.
The Master Campus Plan was approved by Mount Nittany Medical Center and The Pennsylvania State University.
Commitment to Distinction: The Campaign for Mount Nittany Medical Center kicked off; it is the most substantial fundraising campaign in the Medical Center's history.
First clerkships and fellowship were offered at Mount Nittany Medical Center.
Mount Nittany Medical Center brought Triology stereotactic system online, providing precision radiation therapy in Centre County.
Mount Nittany Medical Center celebrated the grand opening of the east wing.
Mount Nittany Health formed.